2011년 12월 1일 목요일

#15. Sonnet

                  Last summer, I took Mr. Yoon’s Sonnet class during Summer Session. The class covered various sonnets, such as Petrarchan sonnet, Spensorian sonnet, Shakespearean sonnet, Modern sonnets, etc. Class was quite demanding, but it was interesting to interpret all those ambiguous words in sonnets and relish various literary devices (most of all, rhyme) the great poets used. =) At the end of the class, Mr. Yoon proposed students to write own sonnet. I think I spent at least three hours writing these fourteen lines—it was so hard for me to search for words that fit the rhyme scheme. Actually, I could not even dream of adjusting iambic pentameter! The completed sonnet is really childish in its literary devices, and the message is too simple that makes me embarrass to say “This is a sonnet”. Think I might try writing another sonnet on the same issue a year later in AP EngLit course! =) Anyway, this is my FIRST sonnet, so don’t mock at it too much – just read it in light mood, and then I would be really greatful!


Thy eyes shining are on me temporal
And thy face smiling is toward me frozen
Thy love is short summer breeze whiffle
Fake traveler - faded dream when waken

(God)
Endure, he shall take root staunchly
Next thy someday; wait, forgiving his flawed.

Alas! Waving pain, crowding endlessly -
Me patience short, not merciful God

(God)
Thy human - why forgiveness is needed.
Thou leaving also scar to thy lover

O I human, not God, my whim acrid
Now see thy pain I caused - I was drunker.

Thou forgive me, me forgive thou -
Love lies forever in forgiveness vow
                 

 P.S. If you understood the theme of my sonnet, can you infer where did I get this idea? This is my impression after reading Hyōten (氷点, "Freezing Point") by Ayako Miura, which is one of the top inspiring books I have ever read.

 P.S.2 Reading this again while posting, it makes me hesitate to "Post" button! This sonnet makes me laugh over my clumsiness =( ㅋㅋㅋ

댓글 1개:

  1. It sounds quite Shakespearean, and I guess that means it's good. We can't really tell how good it is until you read it out loud for us in class like a true poet.;)

    I'm not the best to comment, however. Mr. Moon or Mr. Tweedie are better for that kind of thing.

    답글삭제