2012년 10월 18일 목요일

Yeon-Koung Kim: "Our Change Makes the World Change"



I have been a member of MUNESCO (Minjok UNESCO), one of the social activity clubs in KMLA, since my freshman year. The goal of this club was “to make a better world”; club members campaigned to persuade people use personal tumbler instead of paper cups, and raised funds to help the multicultural children. The club proclaimed that “Our change makes the world change”; over the last one-and-a-half year I participated in MUNESCO activities, however, I never felt this motto by heart. To be honest, what I felt was closer to skepticism. I wondered how many people would keep their promise to use tumbler after they leave our campaigning site. I wondered whether our fund would change a multicultural kid’s life greatly. I thought that the world was too large and distant that my act can hardly influence it. I thought that the change of an individual can never contribute to the change of the world.

Such of my skeptical attitude toward the power of individual remained same, even when I heard what was happening to my favorite sports star, Yeon-Koung Kim. Kim is a South Korea female professional volleyball player, a heroine of an impressive career that engrosses all the “Best Scorer” and “MVP” awards every season in every league. However, most of the Koreans do not know even of her name, since volleyball is not a renowned sport in Korea. 


Yeon-Koung Kim, the Volleyball Superstar

Using the public indifference over volleyball, Heungkuk Life, a volleyball club which Kim once belonged, and KOVO, Korean Volleyball Federation, are “enslaving” Kim. Heungkuk and KOVO claim that Kim did not run for Heungkuk for six seasons, which is a requisite to be qualified as a FA player (a player who is eligible to sign with any club or franchise, not under contract to any specific team). Kim actually played more than the required six seasons (four in Heungkuk, two in JT Maberas (Japan), and one in Fenerbahce (Turkey), the latter two as a status of rent player); nevertheless, Heungkuk argues that her three seasons in Japan and Turkey should be not counted, thus she needs to run in Korea for two more seasons. As Kim dissents from Heungkuk’s stance, Heungkuk and KOVO classified Kim as a withdrawn player, which means that she cannot play any international games (including the World Championship League, which is being held right now) until she capitulates.

I have loved Yeon-Koung Kim ever since the London Olympics. I joined her fan café, and I regularly search her name in Naver or Google to check what is happening to her. Despite I knew all the terrible things happening to Kim, I thought that there was nothing I can do to help her; no matter how I support Kim and wish her to find her rights, I was just an ordinary eighteen-years-old girl, who cannot influence Heungkuk or KOVO in any way. – That was what I thought.

The day when FIVB officially proclaimed that Kim belonged to Heungkuk was the turning point.* A movement started; one member of fan cafe suggested twitting to politicians and celebrities about Kim, explaining who she is, what is happening to her right now, and asking for help. Another member made an online petition site, which signed-up list would be used to request FIVB for reaffirmation about Kim's status. Members updated every online article about Kim so that other fans can visit the site and leave comments so that the article would be classified as main news.


My Twitter "#LetKimYK10play"

I doubted whether this would work; anyway, I was a pessimist. In hope to be a very, very small help for Kim, nevertheless, made me twit to celebrities every day and sign up for online petition. And, for sure, I was not the only one who did so; Kim’s other fans, who had been hiding behind, did the same.

What happened during last few days was just so amazing; politicians, who received hundreds of twitter messages from Kim’s fans, responded. Some of them contacted the fan café to visit their office and explain more about Kim, so that they can help her. Tomorrow morning, Kim is going to have a press interview in Congress; then, the politicians who promised to help her will discuss Kim’s issue in the proceeding inspection of government offices.

A Politician's Reply: "I will do my best to resolve Kim's problem."

All I did was a few twits. That was really “ALL”. And yet my effort, combined with others’, brought a hopeful chance for Kim. It was the first time that I understood the phrase, “Our change makes the world change”, by heart. No matter how small influence an individual seemed to possess, tremendous impact could be created via cooperation of individuals.

I thank Yeon-Koung Kim for giving me opportunity to gain such a valuable lesson – that I can do something to change the society. I’ll keep on my little acts to support Kim, in conviction that those of hundreds of other fans would be added to mine, thereby motivating Kim the volition to continue the struggle and find her fair rights as a player. All I want is to see Kim back on the court, shining, smiling, playing – the outcome partly based on my small efforts.

Want Kim Back on the Court... T_T ♥
                                                              

If you are  interested in Kim and want to know 
what is happening to her, click HERE.



댓글 4개:

  1. I know that my conclusion is quite weak; I, at first, planned a reflective essay mainly about "Our change makes world change" (small act makes a big change, etc) but while writing, I lose my cool and wrote mainly about Yeon-kyong Kim, all the unfair situations happening to her. Maybe I'll revise this writing a bit after midterm is over... :P

    답글삭제
  2. Is this for your own posting? Great job. Reminds me of Kony 2012 (in the positive sense) and this:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faIFNkdq96U

    The true power of a mouse click is something that didn't exist even 15 years ago. However, offline action is still what matters after the awareness is raised.

    I hope things work out for her! Glad to see some extra work here.

    답글삭제
  3. http://yeon-koung-fan.blogspot.kr/2012/10/it-was-worth-it.html

    I just found it. I wanted to know how tall she is.

    답글삭제
    답글
    1. I'm sure you already know that things went well for YK by finding that blog :D Right now she's playing at Fenerbahce, Turkey Volleyball Club. I sometimes find her matches in YouTube and watch it! Never imagined that I would watch sports game during free time before lol

      삭제