2011년 11월 2일 수요일

#8-1. Life Lesson: Sir Nubi


Don't judge the book by its cover.

     February 2011, before I entered the dorm. Assuming the winter in Gangwon-do would be harsh, especially for KMLA students who wear hanbok as their school uniform, I packed my bags with sweaters, stockings, and winter coats. However, when I arrived at school, teachers told me wearing coat except the one given from the school is not allowed. The school coat, which students called Nubi because of its cotton-wool substance, was far from what I expected. Its color was deep purple and the shape was far from trendy trench coat I brought. Disappointed, for the first few days, I did not put on Nubi, no matter how chilly it was.

     One day, however, on my way to the gym for morning exercise, I submitted to the freezing weather and get dressed Nubi. It was surprising; this flimsy-looking coat was superior for keeping warm. As I started to wear Nubi every day, I found out even more functions. It could be used as blanket to cover my legs. During the short break of the class, I used rolled Nubi as a pillow. And few minutes before getting out from dorm during lunch time, when I had no time to climb to bed, I spread out Nubi and slept on it. Its color, once I considered ugly, had advantages in that it screened almost every strains (even coffee strain, in my case). The shape, exactly down to my knees, was long enough to keep almost every part in my body warm. Now, me and my friends call Nubi as “Sir Nubi”; Nubi deserves to be titled Sir.











      So few months later, when 17th wavers enter the school, I will tell them not to ignore something with its appearance... I will recommend them not to abandon Nubi because of how it looks, but to love it a lot. Nubi who taught me the life lesson, Don’t judge a book by its cover.

댓글 1개:

  1. I totally agree with you on our school coat. Nubi becomes more valuable as time flies by. I liked how you linked your experience of nubi with a well-known phrase. :)
    P.S. I think you were trying to say "stain," because "strain" means somekind of tension.
    P.S.2 It would be better if you uncheck the word verification.ㅋㅋ

    답글삭제