2012년 11월 21일 수요일

10 Flash Fictions



1.      Phone alarm rang. I looked down my phone. Sighing, I turned off the alarm. I thought I already erased everything. But I didn't. I leaned over the wall, and clapped slowly. Happy Birthday to you.

2.       Living in a dorm school is: You put a full bottle of coke in the fridge, and next morning you're drinking a cup of water.

3.       "You collared the cole to buy a pen?" The father angered at the boy. "I can bring you numbers of pen from my office!"

4.       "Teachers must allow students autonomy" I commented at KMLA Forum, ignoring Facebook message from Judicial Branch to join Student Jury.

5.       "Hey, I was just going to study!" exclaimed my roommate who had been Facebooking all day, as the dorm blacked out.

6.       [11:59:59PM] "The Concert Ticket Sale begins within a second!" 
          [12:00:00AM] "This computer is out of battery. The system is forced to perform terminations."

7.       “You are allowed to buy translated copies," said my professor, and I stared down at my book -- Shakespeare in the original.

8.       [Sent Message] It's been more than a month... How are you these days? 
          [Received Message] This number is not registered.

9.       Have a nice… days.

10.    Window opened. A slight breeze. The door locked inside-out.




Comments

   Hemingway's famous flash fiction makes me feel most of my examples are wrong : ( Hemingway seems to make the readers imagine all the events that may have happened -- baby's death, mother's sorrow, etc. Some of my examples -- 1, 8, 9, 10, and maybe 2 -- do seem to act like Hemingway's, but others seem to be more like "irony" than flash fictions. Hmm....?
   Please leave comments about this question! And if you see any ambiguous flash fictions that you can't predict what was my intention, feel free to ask : ) Thanks!

댓글 5개:

  1. I think they are all well within the very loose definition of flash fiction, and a few of them I really like. Particularly 8,9,10. Number 3 is the only one I am having trouble getting. As long as subtext is heavily employed - with a sense of foreshadow and/or reflection - and as long as the story can be further constructed by the reader if he or she chooses - then I think you have flash fiction. Hemingway's is super awesome and hard to match, but you have some really good ones here.

    답글삭제
    답글
    1. I got the inspiration for #3 from this quote: "...we human beings are ready and willing to steal something that does not explicitly reference monetary value.. people are more apt to be dishonest in the presence of nonmonetary objects than actual money." ("The Honest Truth About Dishonesty", Dan Ariely) I'm recently interested in behavioral economics (combination of psychology and economics), and its main claim is that humans are much more irrational than our belief. For example, humans feel okay to "bring" pens from their work, but they feel guilty to "steal" money. So #3 was some kind of irony -- the father scolded his boy for "stealing" money, but he didn't realize that his act of "bringing" pens from his work is also stealing. : )

      삭제
    2. That's interesting, and nice response. But wow - that is a lot of stuff to attempt to incorporate in a flash fiction. The phrase "collared the cole" is the unclear part. "Office theft" is a big issue, and companies lose a lot of money that way. To be honest, I used to work at McDonalds in high school, and I often felt cheated by the company for paying me for less hours than I'd actually worked at a low hourly rate. So - I used to drink chocolate milk in the back room to compensate.:)

      삭제
  2. I like #4 the best. It always happens in KMLA!
    But is #3 literal or figurative? I guess it is about stealing other student's coke in the fridge, but I'm not quite sure.

    답글삭제
    답글
    1. Feel embarassed to admit this, but $4 actually is what happened to me when I was writing this assignment :(
      For #3, you guessed it correctly :) Thank you for leaving comments!

      삭제