2011년 10월 25일 화요일

#3-2. In-Class: Essay (To Be In Other's Shoes)



     When I was young, I enjoyed killing ants. Since I was not a “science girl”, I did not burn the ants at the stake with magnifying glasses. Instead, I simply stepped on them. Especially when I was waiting for the bus, and there was nothing to play with (for example, jumping ropes or sketchbooks) in my hands, I took a look at the road where numerous black dots were crawling. I stepped on those dots with all weight a little girl can load, and once I took my foot off, if the ant was still moving, I again and again stepped on it until it showed no movement.
     I guess that I killed approximately one hundred ants during my young ages. Here, young ages means before nine – after I became nine, I stopped killing these tiny creatures. What made me to stop killing ants was a simple imagination. I once questioned myself; what if there is a giant? A giant who is so big and huge that he perceives mankind in little dots, like mankind perceives the ants? Maybe one day the giant will appear on Earth, and step on the human dots without any hesitation or remorse. Maybe the giant would step on me on my way to school. Well then, I’m dead even before realizing what happened. This imagination scared me so greatly that I almost cried. At that very moment, I recognized the giant’s irresponsible, brutal actions are what I had done to the ants five minutes before in the bus station. I was in the ants’ shoes during the imagination, and I sympathized with the ants. After the awakening, I never stepped on ants intentionally. Never.
     This is what happens in Kim’s film, too; the boy tied animals for entertainment and laughed at animals’ struggle. But as he was tied in the same way, he realized and sympathized with the pain the animals would have felt, and howl over the animals’ death sincerely. And it seems obvious that the boy would never harm animals again.
     One of my favorite books is To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee). Throughout the novel, Atticus tries to give Jem and Scout this moral lesson; to put you in other’s shoes. Only when one puts oneself in other person’s shoes, one can understand the other person’s pain. Then the one would truly “treat others as much as he/she wants to be treated” – just like I did, and the boy in the film did.

댓글 1개: