2011년 10월 29일 토요일

#5-1. Miscellaneous

     Once you gaze at the title of this post, it's obvious that the post is minor writing; it is numbered 5-1, not 5, and the title itself is "miscalleneous". Yes, it is minor; I didn't plan to write this post before five minutes. I just suddenly felt strong obligation to leave my trace, on my process of writing 5th main piece.
     My fifth main piece of writing is not about the class assignment. Last week, as the midterm was over, I came back home without any kind of book or material to study. I planned to play the whole weekend, but going to the cinema, eyeshopping, eating with friends, all these outside activities were soon fed up. Lingering at home, I asked for an interesting book to read to my older sister, and she recommended me one book. I won't reveal the title of this book yet, for your curiosity and expectation. =)
     Anyway, the book fascinated me. It was three hundred page; quite long for a capricious girl who is easily wearied like me, but I did read the entire book in three days. And every time I ran to its climax, I felt myself understanding, admiring, sympathizing to the protagonist. As I finally reached the last sentence of the book, I found myself crying. I was so deeply into the protagonist.
     It was definite that I have to write something about this book, so I can keep this first impression forever. I was encouraged even, when I saw Mr.Garrioch's post to write freely, unlimited from class assignments. I took out white papers and pen, and readied myself to plan an outline. Ten minutes later, the papers were still blank, and I was stuck; okay, I know I have to write. So what can I write about?
     And again ten minutes passed, papers were filled with black letters. I decided to write an analysis journal about the book; I divided the contents into the stages of Hero's Journey. Two hours later, I was still writing the "call to adventure" stage. Then I stopped writting. Something was wrong here.
     I read this book very impressively. But it was nothing more than first reading. No matter how much I enjoyed reading, it was definite that I missed some details, some analysis I could make, some questions I could ask myself. It was like this; couples, fell in love for the first sight, still need to learn more about each other before they promise marriage.
     And so here is my conclusion; maybe it would need a long time for my #5 writing to be posted. Maybe it will be #5-2, #5-3, #5-4... I guess it would be series of writing. I searched for some critics over this novel during last few minutes, and even by doing so, I realized this novel is worth my first impressions. It can be interpreted this way, that way... Few hours ago, I had no idea what to write about. Now, my brain is full of perspectives to write. Those include; simple analysis of hero's journey (which I had done a little), analysis based on the physical/chronological setting, comparison with a historical figure, etc, But only before I start writing about these whole ideas I have in my mind, I need to read the book s-l-o-w-l-y again, so I can fully grasp these different perspectives and details supporting them.
     Actually, as I'm writing this post, I'm afraid that I would disappoint Mr.Garrioch by updating one essay barely, or maybe, even forget about this project and post none. Still, I gamble myself with hope. It would take a long time to read the book again (during the harsh schedule of KMLA), and write these essays, but well, it's worth a try. Maybe this can be my term paper or first clumsy thesis =) (though I'm feeling very embarassed at calling few essays "thesis").
     Hope I don't forget about this "trace" - the promise to myself that I won't forget about this book and return with few essays to post. Wish me good luck!

댓글 1개:

  1. I read this after reading your other essay, and think it's funny how you've sort of gift wrapped your plan as a surprise gift for later on. I enjoyed discovering your plan, and wish I had seen this post sooner. I'd never have guessed you were going to read Cuckoo's Nest. I wonder why your sister may have thought you'd like it. Most of my students don't!

    If I were to suggest a creative essay approach, I might have had you evaluate the narrator - Bromden, and draw comparisons to Red in Shawshank. An easier essay to write perhaps? There is a TON of information on this essay, and there is also the interesting life of the author who wrote it, and WHY he wrote it. Then, there is also the movie, which is one of the highest regarded in Hollywood history. I actually don't like it that much, but would be interested to see what you have to say. Maybe you and your sister can watch it together!

    There's a recent documentary made about Kesey, and you can see how his personality was the inspiration for McMurphy.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G_OdTgsu40

    Good work, Yeji! Very impressive.

    답글삭제